As we know, letter is one a character representing one or more of the sounds used in speech; any of the symbols of an alphabet. There are so many different kind of letters, but this time i will only explaining about Application Letters, Inquiry, Complain and Purchase order Letters.
- Application Letter
An Application Letter is a formally written one page letter that accompanies a resume and other requested documentation in application for a job or academic program. Application Letter are often synonymous with a cover letters, and in addition to describing what materials are included in the application, and an application letter should also take time to highlight the qualifications that prepare the writer for accpetance into the job or academic program. There are few elements inside an application letter. such as :
– Physical Characteristics
If the company has a bona fide occupational qualification to ask regarding a physical condition, they may ask questions about it. Such as: The job requires a lot of physical labor.
Experience requirements can be separated into 2 groups on an application letter, work experience and educational background. The most important one is the educational background because by evaluating applicants performance in school tells them that their personality is like as well as their intelegence. Work experience is important too but, some of the companies are usually ask, why the applicant left their previous job.
– Socio-environmental Qualifications
Companies are interested in the applicant’s socio-environment because it can inform them of their personality, interest, and qualities. If they are extremly active within an organization, that may demonstrate their ability to communicate well with others. Being in management may demonstrate their leadership ability as well as their determination and so on.
Customs vary internationally when it comes to the inclusion or non-inclusion of a photograph of the applicant. In the English-speaking countries, notably the United States, this is not customary, and books or websites giving recommendations about how to design an application typically advise against it unless explicitly requested by the employer. In other countries, for instance Germany, the inclusion of a photograph of the applicant is still common, and many employers would consider an application incomplete without it.
This is example for application letters for fresh graduates :
22 H Venture St.,
Diliman, Quezon City
April 17, 2015
Mr. Vincent Chua
Bank of the Philippines Islands (BPI)
12/F Ayala Life-FGU Center, Ayala Ave.
Makati City 1226
Dear Mr. Chua,
I am writing to express my interest for the position of Recruitment Assistant in your esteemed company.
Having recently obtained my Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration major in Human Resource Development Management (BSBA-HRDM) in the Polytechnic University of the Philippines (PUP), I wish to bring my knowledge, skills and commitment to excellence to your company’s innovative environment.
As a Business Administration student, majoring in HR management, I’ve become equipped with the necessary knowledge that come with the position including manpower recruitment, workforce organization, personnel training and compensation as well as legal provisions and other labor concerns.
For additional details regarding my qualification and expertise, please review my attached resume.
Thank you for taking the time to consider this application and I look forward to hearing from you.
- Inquiry Letter
The letters that are written for collecting information about job seekers, prices, products, and services before awarding jobs, granting credit, making contracts and giving promotions are known as letters of inquiry. These letters are written to a third party seeking information about either a job or a company that wishes to make business relationship.
A letter of request, also known as a letter or letters of interesting candidates, will be sent to the companies. Letter of request is a letter from a prospective buyer to the seller requesting information about the products offered. With the offer of the seller will potential buyers will know the price, and the sale and purchase, and a description of the goods or services to be purchased. This is the purpose of the prospective buyer a written request to the seller.
When a prospective buyer has to know the condition of the goods / services following the price and terms of sale and purchase, of course he did not need to ask for a quote from the seller. Letter of inquiry required in formal trade demand formal procedures in writing. Letter of inquiry is often an early stage of the business transactions. Through a letter of inquiry to ask a potential buyer or to request information about the goods or services to be purchased. In reaction, the seller explained the things he wanted to know the buyer, the buyer did finally order and business transactions as the top buying and selling process.
In the letter of demand for the goods usually offer prospective buyers ask:
- name and type of goods;
- special characteristics (specifications) of goods, namely, the type, size, quality, capacity and others;
- unit price.
- method of payment;
- means of delivery, and
- ease that may be obtained by the buyer, such as guarantees and other
In addition to the above mentioned potential buyers asking price lists and catalogs (if the items varied) and a technical description of the goods in the form of leaflets or brochures. For items that allow, prospective buyers can also request a sample of goods actually sent.
By letter of demand and supply of services, prospective buyers can ask:
- the form of services that can be presented by the seller;
- equipment used by the seller as a support (if any);
- pieces and
- method of payment;
In demand service offerings, potential buyers can also request a price list (according to the level of services to be provided). Usually all been included in the prospectus which has been prepared by the company selling services.
Inquiry should not only be submitted to one seller, but to some sellers. This step was taken so that the price list and the information collected will be compared with each other to determine which one best suit your desires and financial ability of prospective buyers.
This is example for inquiry letter :
THOMAS & CO.LTD
Regrent Street 435
Ref : DS/RC
25 June 2009
The Krakatau Steel Engineering Co.
Dear Sir or Madam,
Subject : Request for Catalogue
We Saw your advertisement in the “Metak Worker” a few days ago and interested in your steel products.
Please let us have the details of your products together with the sample, terms of payment and the price list. If the quality is satisfactory and the terms are reasonable, we will place a large order soon. Could you give us details of discount and the fastest delivery please.
We hope to recieve your reply soon.
And the reply for that inquiry should be like this :
THE BIG CO.
Your ref : DS/RC
2 July 2009
Our ref : DL/RC
Regrent Street 435
Re : Request for Catalogue
Thank you for inquiry letter of 25 june 2009 and interested in our advertisement.
As requested, we enclose herewith the latest illustrated catalogue together with price list and the terms. Dispatch of product will be sent after we recieve your order letter in two weeks and we could give 3% of cash discount in 30 days from invoice date.
We are looking forwards to your order soon.
- Complain Letter
Complaint letter definition can be described in many ways. A complaint letter is the part of written communication. In general word complaint letter means a letter which is written to submit a complaint to the authority. And it is generally done when other way of complaint are failure like phone, email etc. However here we provide complaint letter definition in formal way.
A Complaint letter is a request for an adjustment. In other words, it is a letter that describes about the damage; errors or mistakes happened to the delivered goods and therefore claims for compensation is known to be a complaint letter.
In modern age, the chain of business is not limited within the boundary of country. As business is expanding, its complexities are also increasing. So, mistake or fault is not a strange matter in the arena of business. There may be wrong delivery of goods shipment of obsolete, poor quality or underweight goods, faulty packing, delivery after the specified date and other damages to the goods shipped. In the above cases, buyer is supposed to suffer financial loss and therefore he has every reason to complaint to the seller demanding compensation. Hence a letter is used to serve such purpose is called complaint letter.
To draft such a letter, buyer must have valid grounds to explain that he has suffered financial loss or otherwise there will be misunderstanding which may damage business relation buyer requires special care with the art of convincing the seller. Clarity and courtesy are the important factors to write a letter of complaint. The complaint should be made politely without showing any sign of anger.
Causes of Drafting Complaint Letter or, Sources of Mistakes giving rise to Complaints
The following are usual causes for which a complaint letter is drafted:
- Problem with the delivered goods: If the goods that are delivered are :
- Under weight,
- Not according to buyer’s specification such as color, brand, size etc.
- Wrong or poor quality; then buyer can make a claim to the seller for the mistake.
- Pricing: If there is any mistake in preparing the invoice of the shipped goods, then such letter is written.
- Packing: Faulty or poor packing of the goods causes damage to the goods which can be claimed to the seller.
- Transport: Goods are supposed to be shipped according to convenience of the buyer. But if wrong carrier is used it may call for writing such letter.
- Terms & Condition: If the terms and condition of business are violated by the seller then such a letter is placed.
- Faulty Insurance: If insurance coverage is not made properly according to instruction of the buyer, then there may be claim through complaint letter.
On the above grounds, buyer can complaint but it must be in a decent and polite way.
This is example for complain letter :
56 Disgruntled Street
Customer Service Manager
That Awful Company
June 15, 2008
I am writing today to complain of the poor service I received from your company on June 12, 2008. I was visited by a representative of That Awful Company, Mr. Madman, at my home on that day.
Mr. Madman was one hour late for his appointment and offered nothing by way of apology when he arrived at noon. Your representative did not remove his muddy shoes upon entering my house, and consequently left a trail of dirt in the hallway. Mr. Madman then proceeded to present a range of products to me that I had specifically told his assistant by telephone I was not interested in. I repeatedly tried to ask your representative about the products that were of interest to me, but he refused to deal with my questions. We ended our meeting after 25 minutes without either of us having accomplished anything.
I am most annoyed that I wasted a morning (and half a day’s vacation) waiting for Mr. Madman to show up. My impression of That Awful Company has been tarnished, and I am now concerned about how my existing business is being managed by your firm. Furthermore, Mr. Madman’s inability to remove his muddy shoes has meant that I have had to engage the services, and incur the expense, of a professional carpet cleaner.
I trust this is not the way That Awful Company wishes to conduct business with valued customers—I have been with you since the company was founded and have never encountered such treatment before. I would welcome the opportunity to discuss matters further and to learn of how you propose to prevent a similar situation from recurring. I look forward to hearing from you.
- Purchase Order Letter
As per the life cycle of a product an enquiry about it does not always end in a sale. Once a customer likes a product it results in a sale but only through a verbal order or a written one. A Purchase Order is the document that initiates the purchase and helps close the sale. In today’s times of multiple companiesavailable for all products, there is some amount of trust in the customer and even a verbal confirmation of an order is acceptable. But most of the times it is only against some advance.
A Purchase Order Letter is a document that confirms to the seller that the customer in a specified time frame requires a particular quantity of the product. Nowadays one company to the other confirming the order, which is generally a bulk order, writes Purchase Order Letters or it is written by an individual to a company again in the case of placing a bulk order.
This is what you should do and dont’s about making a purchase order letter :
- A Purchase Order Letter should be written as soon as the decision for the purchase has been made
- The company with whom the order is being placed should be given enough time to execute the order
- The letter should clearly indicate the product code or item number, the size and the quantities being ordered
- The date when the Purchase Order Letter is being generated is very important because that identifies when the order was placed
- If the order is being placed by a company then it usually should be in a Purchase Order format
- The Purchase Order Letter should also indicate the date by when the order is expected to be executed or delivered
- The mode of delivery of the material should also be identified in the letter
- The letter should also carry the mode of payment by which the payment will be made
- If any advance has already been paid against the order, it must be mentioned in the Purchase Order Letter
- The address where the order has to be delivered should be very clearly mentioned in the letter along with any landmarks, if any, to locate the address
- The Purchase Order Letter should give the details of the costing of the price including taxes, etc so that there is no confusion while making the payment
- The name of the company or dealer with which the order is being placed should be clearly written on the letter to avoid any miscommunication of details
- There is no scope for any grammatical or punctuation errors in the Purchase Order Letter
- The contents of the letter must be carefully read through to ensure that the order details have been correctly mentioned
- The Purchase Order Letter should ideally be typed but the signatory should personally sign it
And this is Example for purchase order letter :
______________ (Name and address of company with whom order is being placed)
Subject: Purchase Order for 1000 pairs of socks
Dear Sir or Madam
This is with reference to our meeting on ___________ (date) when we visited your factory in connection with purchase of socks for our school children.
We are pleased to place an order for 1000 pairs of white summer socks against item number ___________ and size _________. We would appreciate if the order is delivered at the address given below latest by ____________ (deadline date) so that we can start selling it to the children before the onset of summers.
___________________ (Name and address where delivery will be made)
The terms and conditions of the purchase order are as follows:
- Order for 1000 pairs of white summer socks with item number _________ and size __________.
- Delivery will be made at the address mentioned above.
- The order should be delivered latest by __________.
- 100% payment will be made on delivery.
- If the order is not delivered by the due date, please consider it as cancelled.
- The price per pair, as mutually agreed, is Rs. ___________ inclusive of all taxes.
We hope to have a long business relationship with you.
Please feel free to contact the undersigned for any clarifications or discrepancy in the order details.
(Name of signing authority)